Re: Maintainers please weigh in on 64-bit Cygwin

On Sun, Mar 17, 2013 at 06:43:52PM +0100, Achim Gratz wrote:
>> 1) Yes.
>> 2) N/A
>> 3) Yes (but not in the next two or three weeks).
>> 4) No.
>> 5) No.
>> 6) Yes, as long as they don't pretend to be me.
>> 7) Yes, if that helps to speed up things.
>
>My working assumption is that the differences between the two
>architectures can nearly be absorbed by cygport so that a single
>definition can be used to produce both packages.  I also hope that it
>will be possible in the future to cross-compile between 32bit and 64bit,
>either direction is fine, but compiling on 32bit may be more practical
>at the moment.

Have you considered the implications of having someone else do your
packages?  That means potentially different setup.hint, potentially
different versions and version-numbering schemes, and possible
source-level patches which you have not touched.

It's perfectly ok if all of these are perfectly ok with you but I
wouldn't want people to just assume that there won't be issues with
someone else (it looks like Yaakov has been annointed) generating
packages.  Certainly no one could ever suggest that Yaakov doesn't know
what he's doing but there will be issues and I would rather that people
are aware of them now rather than later.  And, if possible, I'd think
maintainers should have some signoff on what gets released.