Re: [ITP] libffi (attn: Dave Korn)

On 10/04/2013 10:50, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2013-04-10 04:29, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
>> On Apr 10 04:06, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
>>> libffi development moved out of GCC into a separate project a long
>>> time ago; the copy included in GCC is used for libgcj, but only as a
>>> convenience (static) library, and it is usually a few point releases
>>> behind the standalone version.  Finally, last month, GCC was patched
>>> upstream to stop installing its copy (a similar patch for 4.7.2 and
>>> 4.8.0 is in Ports git).
>>>
>>> Therefore I think the time has arrived to join Fedora and Debian and
>>> switch i686 to the standalone version.  (We are already using this
>>> for x86_64.)  This will also simplify building many of the ~20
>>> packages which use libffi and expect the .pc file provided only by
>>> the standalone version.
>>>
>>> http://cygwin-ports.git.sourceforge.net/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-ports/libffi
>>>
>>> ftp://ftp.cygwinports.org/pub/cygwinports/temp/libffi/
>>
>> Isn't that independent from what gcc itself does?  If so, feel free
>> to upload.
>
> Only the man3 pages collide with gcc4-core.  But gcc's libffi.dll.a will
> take priority over the one in /usr/lib (see gcc -print-search-dirs), so
> manual intervention will be necessary until our gcc stops shipping libffi.

  Okeydokey.  Upstream libffi generates cygffi-6.dll, so what I'll do is
incorporate the patch (along with your others) into 4.7.3-1 (which will be a
full curr: version release), and ship one last version of libffi4 (marked
obsolete) with that but make sure the man pages, static import lib etc (-devel
stuff basically) is not packaged.  That'll probably be in ten days or so, at
which point you can upload the standalone libffi.  Makes sense?

    cheers,
      DaveK