Re: [RFU 64bit] gmp / mpfr / mpc / ppl / isl / cloog-ppl / cloog

Yaakov (Cygwin/X) writes:
> Sorry, I've been on the road for much of the last week.

Thanks, I figured as muchâ which is why I was waiting to ask until I saw
some activity from you again. :-)

> * libraries are libfooN (containing cygfoo-N.dll) and libfoo-devel
> (containing headers, libfoo.*, .pc files, foo-config scripts, aclocal
> macros, etc), regardless of source tarball name.  Rationale: many
> library sources already start with "lib", so those devel packages will
> anyways be libfoo-devel, while having some foo-devel and some
> libfoo-devel is just confusing; this also makes sure that the DLL and
> devel packages are in close proximity in an alphabetical list of
> packages.

I guess this is the only rule that we might disagree about, which maybe
hinges on the definition of "library".  For concrete example: cloog is
mainly a library, but also comes with applications, while gmp comes with
multiple libraries, but splitting the devel packages across those lib*
packages seems silly.  Some documentation might be about a particular
library API only, but more often it contains general information as well
as API information, so again splitting the doc isn't doable.  Lastly,
the debuginfo is always split onto the umbrella namespace anyway.

So my proposal was to always have an umbrella package (without the lib
prefix) that can absorb such binaries and serves as a namespace for
colluded doc and devel files and only split those out on the lib*
package where the project is structured in a way to make this practical
(in this case, the umbrella doc and devel packages would include the
lib* ones as dependencies).  The only real change from what I did on
32bit was moving the devel packages to the umbrella name and dropping
the lib suffix from mpc.  Both changes follow similar naming conventions
in various Linux distributions.

> That being said, the naming scheme used for the 32-bit packages, as
> well as the 64-bit packages I uploaded during the bootstrap stage, are
> basically conforming to these "rules", with the possible exception of
> the -doc packages (which I wouldn't make a big deal about).

Yes, the doc packages were missing on 64bit, no big deal.  But the
naming on 64bit was also different than the existing naming on 32bit.

> I still don't understand what problems you faced with the files I
> provided you, except for the conflicting cloog.info which (as I
> mentioned previously) IMO should only be shipped with cloog-isl.

As said above, plus the inconsistency in naming (the -devel and -doc
subpackages hopping between the lib* and the umbrella package).  Again,
here's the result of my changes:

gmp/gmp-5.1.1-2-src.tar.bz2
gmp/gmp-5.1.1-2.tar.bz2
gmp/gmp-debuginfo/gmp-debuginfo-5.1.1-2.tar.bz2
gmp/gmp-devel/gmp-devel-5.1.1-2.tar.bz2
gmp/gmp-doc/gmp-doc-5.1.1-2.tar.bz2
gmp/libgmp10/libgmp10-5.1.1-2.tar.bz2
gmp/libgmpxx4/libgmpxx4-5.1.1-2.tar.bz2
mpfr/libmpfr4/libmpfr4-3.1.2-1.tar.bz2
mpfr/mpfr-3.1.2-1-src.tar.bz2
mpfr/mpfr-3.1.2-1.tar.bz2
mpfr/mpfr-debuginfo/mpfr-debuginfo-3.1.2-1.tar.bz2
mpfr/mpfr-devel/mpfr-devel-3.1.2-1.tar.bz2
mpfr/mpfr-doc/mpfr-doc-3.1.2-1.tar.bz2
mpc/libmpc3/libmpc3-1.0.1-2.tar.bz2
mpc/mpc-1.0.1-2-src.tar.bz2
mpc/mpc-1.0.1-2.tar.bz2
mpc/mpc-debuginfo/mpc-debuginfo-1.0.1-2.tar.bz2
mpc/mpc-devel/mpc-devel-1.0.1-2.tar.bz2
mpc/mpc-doc/mpc-doc-1.0.1-2.tar.bz2
ppl/libppl9/libppl9-0.11.2-2.tar.bz2
ppl/libppl_c4/libppl_c4-0.11.2-2.tar.bz2
ppl/libpwl5/libpwl5-0.11.2-2.tar.bz2
ppl/ppl-0.11.2-2-src.tar.bz2
ppl/ppl-0.11.2-2.tar.bz2
ppl/ppl-debuginfo/ppl-debuginfo-0.11.2-2.tar.bz2
ppl/ppl-devel/ppl-devel-0.11.2-2.tar.bz2
ppl/ppl-doc/ppl-doc-0.11.2-2.tar.bz2
isl/isl-0.11.1-2-src.tar.bz2
isl/isl-0.11.1-2.tar.bz2
isl/isl-debuginfo/isl-debuginfo-0.11.1-2.tar.bz2
isl/isl-devel/isl-devel-0.11.1-2.tar.bz2
isl/isl-doc/isl-doc-0.11.1-2.tar.bz2
isl/libisl10/libisl10-0.11.1-2.tar.bz2
cloog/cloog-0.18.0-2-src.tar.bz2
cloog/cloog-0.18.0-2.tar.bz2
cloog/cloog-debuginfo/cloog-debuginfo-0.18.0-2.tar.bz2
cloog/cloog-doc/cloog-doc-0.15.11-2.tar.bz2
cloog/cloog-doc/cloog-doc-0.18.0-2.tar.bz2
cloog/cloog-isl-devel/cloog-isl-devel-0.18.0-2.tar.bz2
cloog/libcloog-isl4/libcloog-isl4-0.18.0-2.tar.bz2
cloog-ppl/cloog-ppl-0.15.11-2-src.tar.bz2
cloog-ppl/cloog-ppl-0.15.11-2.tar.bz2
cloog-ppl/cloog-ppl-debuginfo/cloog-ppl-debuginfo-0.15.11-2.tar.bz2
cloog-ppl/cloog-ppl-devel/cloog-ppl-devel-0.15.11-2.tar.bz2
cloog-ppl/libcloog0/libcloog0-0.15.11-2.tar.bz2

I still think this is more consistent than what was there before or what
would have been the result of converging it to your rules or the 32bit
packages or trying to do both.  But I don't see the point of further
arguing, so please let me know what to rename in the above list (and
how) and I'll do it.

Regards,
Achim.