Re: [RFC] vim-minimal in Base?

On May 14 04:35, Yaakov (Cygwin/X) wrote:
> On 2013-05-14 02:59, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> >What bugs me with vim-minimal on Fedora is usually that it's lacking
> >basic vim functionality, even if it does not rely on external packages.
> >I'm not quite sure if I remember correctly, but in the past I think I
> >even had problems with color settings for syntax decoration, which
> >forced me to use the vim-enhanced package.  And I'm really not using
> >any complicated stuff, like text folding or so...
> >
> >So my question is, is vim-minimal at least more or less feature complete
> >as far as the feature doesn't require external dependencies?
>
> I followed Fedora's lead and compiled vim-minimal
> --with-features=small,

:(

> which excludes many features and avoids the
> need for vim-common (which requires perl and xxd, the former of
> which being what started this discussion), which e.g. syntax
> highlighting would require.

Er... what?  Since when does syntax highlighting require perl?  The old
vim package I compiled when I maintained it was built with the
--with-features=huge setting but didn't pull in any of the possible
dependencies.  No perl, no python, no ruby.  But syntax highlighting
worked fine.

Apart from that, I guess calling vi (and that's what *many* users are
used to) will now result in the same error Frank reported.

Any chance to build vim-minimal with a bigger default set of features
which is only based on avoiding external deps?

Red Hat