Re: setup.exe "Download Without Installing" with multiple roots

On Jun  3 16:41, Shaddy Baddah wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I'm sure this is a known issue. And it is minor, but I thought it might
> be good to put it on record, in hope someone has a good idea for how to
> solve it (in UI).
>
> Cygwin setup.exe allows for install to multiple Cygwin, parallel root
> directories.
>
> If you wish to upgrade some packages for one Cygwin root, and it was not
> the last involved in a installation, you will see a discrepancy when
> using the "Download Without Installing" option.
>
> The install state and version numbers of packages listed will be based
> on the last root, and not the intended target.

Even if you changed the root dir in the root dir dialog?  I'm using
the "Install from local directory" setting all the time and I never
observed such inconsistency.

> You can work around this by running setup,exe on command-line/Run and
> specifying -R <target_root_path>. However, there is no way in the UI to
> do this.
>
> My understanding is that this is a bit of a legacy of how Cygwin used
> to work. Where Cygwin itself had no facilities for parallel. In the
> (relatively) recent history, Corinna has added to the DLL the ability
> to read and maintain a hash map for parallel root directories. So
> perhaps the UI design didn't really catch up with this.

That's a wonderful case of http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#SHTDI,
http://cygwin.com/acronyms/#PTC ;)

Red Hat