Re: What to do about setup's poor handling of disk full conditions

On Jun 29 16:33, Christopher Faylor wrote:
> I keep cygwin on a partition which is relatively small.  So, today for
> at least the third time, I've run into problems where setup was unable
> to extract files because I'd run out of disk space (I had started to
> install the 64-bit installation on the same disk, thought better of it,
> and forgotten to clean up after myself).  The errors represented as
> in-use problems.  That was clearly wrong.  I thought there was a setup
> bug because it seemed to allow me to continue without error.  It didn't
> really.  I kept continuing until eventually setup came to a hard stop
> and my installation was hosed.
>
> What should setup do when it encounters a full disk?  I think it should
> probably give the user the option of freeing up disk space and
> continuing but I think that's going to be difficult to do cleanly since
> there are any number of places where you could run into this situation.
>
> Does anyone have any creative ideas about how to allow setup.exe to
> cleanly handle out-of-disk-space errors?

I don't see a simple way out, unless you make the installation
process transactional as under yum.

One simple way to handle that would be to add up the bytes of
the packages to install (blocksize aligned) and to compare that
with the number of bytes left on the disk.

One even more easy way would be to show a warning every time the
available disk space is less then 1 Gig.

Red Hat