Re: x86/ -> ./ symlink

On Wed, Jul 03, 2013 at 08:49:09PM +0200, Achim Gratz wrote:
>Christopher Faylor writes:
>> I don't think that anyone was saying that we want one setup.ini to be
>> able to handle both distributions though.  That certainly isn't the way
>> that I've been slowly setting things up on sourceware.org.  And, maybe
>> more importantly, I don't like the idea so I'm not apt to implement this
>> in upset or setup.
>
>Good, that closes the discussion as far as I'm concerned.
>
>> What I'm leaning towards doing is creating a new "cache" directory which
>> just contains x86 and x86_64 directories with a setup.ini in each.  I'd
>> get rid of the (IMO) stupid mangled site names since I don't think they
>> are really important and just download files directly into
>> x86*/release.
>
>That'd work for me.  These days it's probably far less useful to know
>which mirror you downloaded from and more useful to be able to switch to
>a different mirror without having to remember that you also need to
>rename the existing directory in case you don't want to download all
>files again.
>
>> setup.exe would only look in the architecture directory that it cared
>> about for setup.ini, ignoring the other architecture.
>
>OK.
>
>> If it's important than we could have setup do the old stupid way of
>> looking up and down in non-"cache" directories for setup.ini but I think
>> I'd like to retire that behavior.  Unfortunately, I don't know who is
>> relying on it.
>
>Everybody currently using Cygwin in conjunction with Ports, I'd think.

I don't see why.  The ports stuff could also go into the mix under the
x86* directories.  I presume that now it is only separated by the mirror
name.

Or, actually, I was also thinking of adding a release tag to setup.ini.

release: x86
release: x86_64
release: cygwinports-x86

That could be used to keep the cygwinports stuff separate from the
normal release if it's really needed.

>> Maybe we could keep a setup-legacy.exe around for a while
>> for people who still need this IMO brain-dead behavior.  Or, better, tag
>> CVS and let them build the source themselves if they need this.
>
>I've been building my own setup.exe for some time, but I don't really
>think this is something done often???

I didn't say that it was.  Popular opinion to the contrary, I don't
think that we have to bend over backwards to support outliers in the use
of tools of setup.exe.  This is an open source project so someone can
easily build the package and provide their own version if needed.