Re: [ITA] tcl-sqlite3

Hi Jan,

On Jan 13 11:57, Jan Nijtmans wrote:
> Cygwin64 has an exisiting "tcl-sqlite3" package
> (version 3.7.15.2-1) which doesn't exist in
> Cygwin32. This package is not in cygwin-pkg-maint,
> so I assume someone (other than Warren Young)
> uploaded it as part of the Cygwin64 bootstrap process.
> This package was very useful to me: The source code
> of the bindings is already included in the sqlite3 source
> package, all that needed to be added is a few lines
> to actually build it. I think it is useful to more people
> than only me: It is part of the "batteries included"
> Tcl 8.6 package, but it works fine with Tcl 8.5
> as well without re-compilation (I tested it with both!)
>
> I'm thus offering to take over the following package:
> - tcl-sqlite3
>
> Following http://cygwin.com/setup.html, I've copied the
> assorted setup.hint files below and uploaded the packages
> to my dropbox area:
>
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/setup.hint
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3-3.8.2-3.tar.xz
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin64/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/setup.hint
> https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/69449580/Cygwin64/sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3/tcl-sqlite3-3.8.2-3.tar.xz
>
> I'm not sure if a GTG is needed from another package maintainer,
> otherwise Warren Young would be the most logical choice. Anyway,
> whatever feedback from Warren (or anyone else) is appreciated!

I don't know much about sqlite, but your package content puzzles me:

  usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/pkgIndex.tcl
  usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/sqlite382.dll
  usr/share/man/mann/sqlite3.n.gz

This looks only vaguely related to tcl.  I see that the existing
tcl-sqlite3-3.7.15.2-1.tar.bz2 in the 64 bit distro looks similar,
but it's bound against sqlite-3.7.15.2, so it probably won't work
with recent sqlite versions anyway.

I really don't quite grok the directory layout and the naming.

I took a look into the Fedora package, which is called "sqlite-tcl".
It provides

  /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3
  /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/libtclsqlite3.so
  /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/pkgIndex.tcl

That makes more sense to me:

- As a tcl package the shared lib should be under /usr/lib/tcl8.5

- The subdir and the shared lib shouldn't have the *exact* name of
  the sqlite version, otherwise they don't make sense anymore if
  sqlite gets updated to, say, 3.8.3.

Warren and Yaakov, what are you saying as sqlite and tcl maintainers?

Thanks,

Red Hat