Re: [ITA] tcl-sqlite3

On Jan 14 13:15, Jan Nijtmans wrote:
> 2014/1/14 Corinna Vinschen:
> > I don't know much about sqlite, but your package content puzzles me:
> >
> >   usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/pkgIndex.tcl
> >   usr/lib/sqlite3.8.2/sqlite382.dll
> >   usr/share/man/mann/sqlite3.n.gz
> >
> > This looks only vaguely related to tcl.  I see that the existing
> > tcl-sqlite3-3.7.15.2-1.tar.bz2 in the 64 bit distro looks similar,
> > but it's bound against sqlite-3.7.15.2, so it probably won't work
> > with recent sqlite versions anyway.
>
> Well, I tested it, and the tcl-sqlite-3.7.15.2 package works
> fine together with the sqlite-3.8.2 package: All sqlite3
> package are binary upwards compatible.
>
> > I really don't quite grok the directory layout and the naming.
>
> Without patching, the TEA (Tcl Extension Architecture) is
> followed, of course I can patch it to whatever structure
> is required for Cygwin. Thanks!
>
> > I took a look into the Fedora package, which is called "sqlite-tcl".
> > It provides
> >
> >   /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3
> >   /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/libtclsqlite3.so
> >   /usr/lib/tcl8.5/sqlite3/pkgIndex.tcl
> >
> > That makes more sense to me:
>
> My tcl-sqlite3 build works with both Tcl 8.5 and 8.6 without
> re-compilation. Of course I could install copies in both
> /usr/lib/tcl8.5 and /usr/lib/tcl8.6, if that is desired, but
> both copies would just be identical.

That's not what I meant.  What I meant is that Tcl extras are installed
under /usr/lib/tcl, not directly under /usr/lib.  I have no idea about
the TEA, but it looks wrong to install Tcl stuff to /usr/lib.  Perl
stuff is under /usr/lib/perl, python stuff is under /usr/lib/python,
ruby stuff is under /usr/lib/ruby... you get the idea.

Also, even if sqlite3.8.2 and sqlite382.dll works, it's kind of
puzzeling.  Are you saying using sqlite3 and libtclsqlite3.so on Fedora
is wrong, not following TEA?  It's much easier to grok and doesn't
wrongly imply it only works on a specificx sqlite 3.x.x version, IMHO.

Red Hat