RE: HEADSUP: New getent tool to read passwd and group data

I mean the administrators group.
It's needed for example to set the ownership of the configuration file.
The daemon checks that the file is owned/writable only by privileged users.
Similarly in cron the crontab files need to be readable by admins. cronbug checks for that

> > Is there an equivalent mechanism using getent ?
> > Else, could Cygwin disregard the passwd entries for these 2 users and use
> only the fixed values determined by the mapping from Windows?
>
> You should not have to expect a name change for the SYSTEM and the
> Administrators account.  It should be entirely sufficient to check for the user
> Administrator and the user SYSTEM or +SYSTEM.

Is that independent of local language?

> If you really want to check
> by SID, feel free to enumerate all accounts by just omitting the username and
> scan for the SID you're looking for:

>   $ getent passwd | grep ',S-1-5-32-544:'
>
>   $ getent group | grep ':S-1-5-18:'

OK, thanks, that will work.
We have had cases of people in very large organizations trying to build the password with mkpasswd -d and that ended up taking hours. Won't the above run in the same issue?  This needs to run in postinstall.

Pierre