Re: [ITA] Git et al

On Sat, Jul 19, 2014 at 08:29:41AM +0100, Adam Dinwoodie wrote:
>I've still not been able to clone the Cygwin source code from CVS --
>I've been testing by cloning the cygwin-apps repo Yaakov referenced
>above -- but the errors look like a version incompatibility, and I don't
>think there's much I can do about that.  If someone who knows more about
>CVS and Git could take a look at the output and confirm that hypothesis,
>I'd be grateful:
>
>    $ git cvsimport -v -d :pserver:anoncvs@cygwin.com:/cvs/src src
>    Initialized empty Git repository in /home/add/test/.git/
>    Running cvsps...
>    WARNING: malformed CVS version str: Server:
>    WARNING: Your CVS client version:
>    [Client: Concurrent Versions System (CVS) 1.12.13 (client/server)]
>    and/or server version:
>    [Server: ]
>    are too old to properly support the rlog command.
>    This command was introduced in 1.11.1.  Cvsps
>    will use log instead, but PatchSet numbering
>    may become unstable due to pruned empty
>    directories.
>
>    cvs [log aborted]: reading from server: Connection reset by peer
>    DONE; creating master branch
>    fatal: refs/heads/origin: not a valid SHA1
>    fatal: master: not a valid SHA1
>    fatal: You are on a branch yet to be born
>    checkout failed: 32768
>
>As I say, the cvsimport of the cygwin-apps repo is going just fine, so I
>don't think this is a fundamental problem with my build any more.
>Fingers crossed for an up-to-date Git release soon.

Thanks for looking into this again.  FWIW, the CVS on sourceare.org/cygwin.com
is cvs-1.11.23-16.el6.x86_64.  I've used it to import Cygwin's CVS into git
so I know that it is possible.  There is a limitation on cvsps though.  As I
understand it newer versions don't work with git.  cvsimport also only works
with cvsps v2 but that shouldn't be a problem since that's what we've got
in Cygwin.