Re: [ITP] libsuexec 1.0

Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> So if I'm a member of the administrators group those programs will use
>> administrative rights while delivering mail to my inbox even though they
>> don't need to?  That doesn't sound desirable to me in any way.
>
> No, they won't.  The lib just converts the uid of the current user to 0
> within the application to keep it blissfully ignorant.  This allows to
> run applications claiming uid 0 is something special from SYSTEM or
> cyg_server as service, without the need to patch the sources.  It's
> not exactly a bad idea for such services if it makes them work, I think.

Good, I haven't checked the sources so I'll believe it.  Actually I've
been thinking before that maybe it was a good idea to map group 544 to
euid 0 (so that shells would be showing # as prompt without extra
nudging), but I came to the conclusion that it probably makes more
trouble than it's worth.  Maybe I revisit that question some timeâ

But anyway, I stick to my earlier assessment that this functionality
should be incorporated into applications that need it on the source
level, gnulib-style.  That shim is small emough so that the resulting
duplication doesn't matter.  I can't think of a good reason to have that
as a DLL on the other hand (other than if you'd wanted to shim at
runtime, which is IMHO a bad idea).

> Postfix for Cygwin would be *so* nice.  Sigh.  It would also be nice to
> get Exim running on 64 bit.  But either way, sendmail is still kind of a
> de-facto standard, so it's not bad to get it into the distro, just as
> Fedora comes with sendmail, postfix, exim, etc.  Choice is good.

The idea of exposing that server to the world doesn't sound exactly
appealing to me.  But yes, choice is good.  :-)

Regards,
Achim.