RE: MTA packaging (exim, postfix, sendmail, ssmtp)

That means a change to the C code, much easier to do it in cron-config.
What's the harm?
cronlog prints an error message if it is not called from cron, so trying to
use it as an mta will fail immediately, with feedback to the user.

> > Also exim itself can run perfectly fine if the mta alternatives is set
> > to another mta, except that mailq and sendmail won't call exim.
> > So in exim-config I was going to present the current mta alternative
> > to the user, explain the above, and ask if it should be changed.

In some cases (don't want to start a long discussion) it makes sense for
applications to send mail with ssmtp, which can be configured to send the
mail to exim running on localhost. That can be done by setting the mta to
ssmtp, as applications look for sendmail.

> IOW /usr/bin/exim can be called directly?  True, and I suspect that would
be
> the case for the other MTAs (certainly ssmtp).  But in that case, is there
> need to run exim-config?

There is a ton of other stuff to do in exim-config, from setting the
hostname the outside world should see to calling cygrunsrv the right way.

Pierre