Re: cygwin beta packages

On 11/10/2014 1:31 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:

Two minor nits:

The current beta packages contain a "." in the release number.  That dot is
chopped off along with the anything that follows in some places during
install in setup.exe.  A better naming scheme would use a letter there,
so perhaps "0b8" (I know that this doesn't produce problems since I've
been packaging snapshots for local installation that way for a long
time).

This probably explains the strange results reported in

in which the base-cygwin package comes very late in the dependency order, and so its postinstall script gets run late.

Apparently setup.exe doesn't parse the data for the cygwin package correctly, and its dependencies therefore don't get taken into account in computing the dependency order.

You can see this by putting '#define DEBUG 1' in package_db.cc before building setup.exe. The setup log then shows the order in which packages are visited while building the dependency order. base-cygwin ought to be visited immediately after cygwin, but it is only visited much later (if the test version of cygwin is being installed).

I had just discovered this and was trying to figure out why, when your mail arrived.

Ken