Re: [RFC] incremental rebase

On 11/16/2014 11:20 AM, Achim Gratz wrote:
Ken Brown writes:
Would it be very hard to allow perpetual postinstall scripts to run
either before or after all others?

Not any harder than what is already there.  ALthough if we are going to
create even more strata of postinstall phases I'd opt for some
refactoring.

I could make very good use of this for improving the texlive
postinstall process.

It's possible to do this with a perpetual script, assuming you use
the actual postinstall scripts to create some trigger condition for the
perpetual script to act upon, yes.  I'm not sure if this is the best or
even most easily implemented solution, though.

It might not be the best solution long term, but I could achieve substantial improvement without a great deal of effort. See

  http://tug.org/pipermail/tlbuild/2014q4/003072.html

for an indication of what I'd like to do. The author of that message isn't aware of the issues involving the order of the postinstall scripts, but I could do everything he suggests if I had a perpetual "after" postinstall script.

Ken