Re: [HEADSUP] Base category

On Dec  9 14:10, Ken Brown wrote:
Come to think of it.  When exactly do we want to allow installing
packages without also installing the deps?  How much sense does
this option really have?

I've had occasion to do this when testing/debugging.  And I can imagine
experienced users who correctly know that they can safely ignore some
dependencies.  So I wouldn't want it to be impossible.  But maybe we can
arrange it so that dependencies are installed by default, without a dialog,
unless the user has explicitly requested the contrary.

For example, there could be a checkbox on an early screen saying something
like, "For each selected package, install all of its dependencies
(RECOMMENDED)".  The box would of course be checked by default.

Apart from the Base packages thingy which was my reason to start this
thread, the dialog as such isn't bad.  It's pretty much the same thing
as on Fedora (let's say, KDE's Apper), even more detailed.

What about just not showing the "Select required packages (RECOMMEND)"
check-box, unless you use a certain command line option?

That sounds good.  Maybe --show-deps?

Ken