Re: [ITA] _autorebase

On Dec 17 10:39, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Dec 16 16:11, Ken Brown wrote:
What would be most helpful is to get a piece of documentation for us
maintainers how to use the new _autorebase facility, sent with a fat
HEADSUP subject, and which we can ideally add to setup.html.

More importantly, maintainers need to be told about the new kinds of
postinstall scripts now supported by setup.exe.  (Or maybe that's what you
meant.)

I actually only meant the new autorebase stuff, but you're oh so right
about the requirement to document how the new postinstall stuff works.
Achim, uhm... sorry abouyt that, but I guess we really have to improve
https://cygwin.com/setup.html on that so all maintainers can educate
themselves how to use the new feature.

Fortunately the web pages are in CVS as well:

   cvs -d :ext:sourceware.org:/cvs/cygwin co htdocs

Oh, and there's something else very important.  The new technique
requires the users to update setup.exe, otherwise they will get
problems.  We can't do much for people ignoring the "this setup.ini has
been created by a newer setup version" message in setup itself, but we
should at least announce the new setup version.

Achim, either you just write the complete announcement for setup from
scratch, or you give me a piece of text to include into the announcement
and I write it.  Whatever you prefer.  The important thing here is to
urge people to upgrade.

Given that many of us are not available the next 2 or 3 weeks (e.g., me),
I'm wondering if we should let the new setup version sink in during that
time, and upgrade the packages using the new feature (_autorebase, TeX
Live) only in the new year, after the 6th of January when all of us will
be back.

Good idea. I'll probably wait even longer than that with TeX Live, to give people plenty of time to get the new _autorebase working first.

Ken