Re: Setup patch to keep test version if test version installed

On Mon, 2015-01-26 at 10:58 +0100, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> On Jan 25 18:20, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
> > Example:
> >
> >   foo-1.22-1 is installed
> >   foo-1.23-1 is curr
> >   foo-1.24-1 is test
> >   ==> Setup chooses 1.23-1 as default.
> >
> > User installs 1.24-1.  Next Setup run:
> >
> >   foo-1.24-1 is installed
> >   foo-1.23-1 is curr
> >   foo-1.24-1 is test
> >   ==> Setup chooses 1.24-1 as default.
> >
> > Maintainer releases a new test version:
> >
> >   foo-1.24-1 is installed
> >   foo-1.23-1 is curr
> >   foo-1.24-2 is test
> >   ==> Setup chooses 1.24-2 as default.
> >
> > Maintainer releases test version as curr version:
> >
> >   foo-1.24-2 is installed
> >   foo-1.24-2 is curr
> >   ==> Setup chooses 1.24-2 as default.
> >
> > Maintainer releases new test version:
> >
> >   foo-1.24-2 is installed
> >   foo-1.24-2 is curr
> >   foo-1.25-1 is test
> >   ==> Setup chooses 1.24-2 as default.

These all make sense to me.

> Another case occured to me a few minutes ago.
>
> What if the "test" version gets removed, without updating "curr"?
>
>   foo-1.24-1 is installed
>   foo-1.23-1 is curr
>   no test version

A similar question would arise if 1.24-1 had been "curr", then pulled
for some reason and not replaced immediately with a 1.24-2.  (In such a
case on Fedora, the downgrade would be forced through an epoch bump.)

Also relevant would be the case where a newer version of a package is
installed from a third-party repository (e.g. cmake in Ports), then in a
subsequent run, the download cache was removed and said repository is
not selected.

>   Now what?
>
>   Right now, Setup pulls the user back to "curr", so 1.23-1 will be
>   preselected.  This is more or less equivalent to `yum distro-sync'
>   on Fedora.
>
>   What would make more(?) sense is sticking to "installed" instead,
>   because the version number is higher than the "curr" version.  This
>   behaviour would reflect the behaviour of `yum update'.
>
> What do you think?

Unfortunately the answer depends on the scenario.  Would it be feasible
to support both modes in setup?

Yaakov