readline package rename question

I'm attempting to upload a new version of readline 6.3.  However, the
32-bit version named the devel package 'readline' 6.1 (the
release/readline/setup.hint describes a direct package for headers and
such, and release/readline/libreadline7/setup.hint describes the dlls),
while the 64-bit version 6.2 (still sitting at the version built by
Yaakov when 64-bit first came out) chose a different layout
(release/readline/setup.hint contains only 'skip:',
release/readline/libreadline7/setup.hint is identical, and
release/readline/libreadline-devel/setup.hint contains the headers and
such).

I'd like to unify the naming, and like the idea of libreadline-devel
(instead of plain 'readline').  For 64-bit, this is easy - just stick
with the naming we've always used.  But for 32-bit, it means I'd want
the existing name of 'readline' to use 'requires: libreadline-devel' so
that people get the upgraded package.  How do I do that?  Do I have
release/readline/setup.hint contain just 'skip:' as in 64-bit, and then
add release/_obsolete/readline/setup.hint that has the right 'requires:
libreadline-devel', or does that throw off upset to have two different
locations containing a setup.hint for readline?

Also, I probably want to leave readline 6.3 in test until I have the
matching bash 4.3 built and tested with it (it's a core enough library
that I don't want to destabilize the distro by promoting my new build to
current too soon).  What implications does this have to the
readline->libreadline-devel rename?