Re: [setup] Makefile.am patches

Corinna Vinschen writes:
> Sounds good to me.  However, I don't understand it.  I expected that it
> writens the changelog entry automatically to the ChangeLog file, but it
> doesn't.  I just tested it in a local branch.  I added this:
>
>> >   [merge "merge-changelog"]
>> > 	  name = GNU-style ChangeLog merge driver
>> > 	  driver = git-merge-changelog %O %A %B
>
> to my .gitconfig file.  Then I commited something.  The ChangeLog file
> didn't change.  Nothing changed, actually.

No, the git-merge-changelog driver just solves the problem of the merge
conflicts that arise from trying to commit from different branches that
all have their own version of the ChangeLog file.

> Uh.  But then again, how *do* I automate writing a ChangeLog entry?
> Also, the git log messages are crippled, all text is printed in a single
> line.

Uh, what?  You need to keep a blank line between the (brief) commit
message and any ChangeLog lines, the first line and any following
(wrapped) lines will be the single-line commit message.

> Yes.
>
>> you don't need
>> gitlog-to-changelog.
>
> I'm rather confused now.  So I don't need git-merge-changelog for
> automation and I don't need gitlog-to-changelog if I keep the ChangeLog
> logs.  If I don't need any one of them, what *do* I need?

You need one _or_ the other, but not both.  You want to keep the
ChangeLog file, so you don't auto-extract from the git commit messages,
but install the merge driver.

Regards,
Achim.