Re: [setup] Makefile.am patches

On 16/02/2015 20:52, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Feb 16 20:34, Achim Gratz wrote:
Corinna Vinschen writes:

I'm rather confused now.  So I don't need git-merge-changelog for
automation and I don't need gitlog-to-changelog if I keep the ChangeLog
logs.  If I don't need any one of them, what *do* I need?

You need one _or_ the other, but not both.  You want to keep the
ChangeLog file, so you don't auto-extract from the git commit messages,
but install the merge driver.

Still confused.  I want to keep the ChangeLog file *and* automate
creating the entries in the file from the git log message, preferredly
nicely formatted, not that weird one line log.  It seems
gitlog-to-changelog can create such entries:

$ gitlog-to-changelog --strip-tab --no-cluster --strip-cherry-pick --append-dot --format='%n%b%n' --strip-cherry-pick -- -n 1
2015-02-16  Achim Gratz  <...>

	* Makefile.am (setup-src): Create file list for archive from
	git-ls-files instead of cvs and create an XZ compressed archive.

The question is, can this be automated so that a commit automatically
adds the entry to the ChangeLog file and commit the ChangeLog file at
the same time?  Or is there some problem with that approach?

If you are using gitlog-to-changelog, I think usually it would be run from a 'make dist'-hook, and ChangeLog would not be under source control.