Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] Updated: mscgen-0.20-2

On 26.02.2015 23:56, David Stacey wrote:
On 26/02/2015 11:58, Thomas Wolff wrote:
On 25.02.2015 21:34, David Stacey wrote:
On 25/02/2015 07:27, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 19.02.2015 um 00:05 schrieb David Stacey:
The following package has been updated in the Cygwin distribution:

* mscgen-0.20-2

Mscgen is a small programme that parses Message Sequence Chart
descriptions and produces PNG, SVG, EPS or server side image maps
(ismaps) as the output.

This release has been built with libgd3 and three patches from Fedora.
Please rebuild the package with
        configure --with-freetype
so the font selection option -F can be used.

I tried rebuilding with '--with-freetype'. mscgen builds but always exits with an error code. This is because gdImageStringFT() always returns the string 'Could not set character size'. By default, the code is trying to use the 'helvetica' font. I have a goodly selection of font packages installed. Any ideas?
I had similar problems until I found out how to configure fonts. This is very poorly documented. With /etc/fonts/fonts.conf pointing to ~/.fonts, it is actually sufficient to link your font directory to ~/.fonts and you can address all fonts contained therein (including subfolders) by their name like in
mscgen -T png -F "Droid Sans"

I'm not sure you need to edit /etc/fonts/fonts.conf.
No, because it already lists ~/.fonts which gives a user an easy opportunity to make his/her favourite fonts available without digging into fontconfig (if only this option were documented...).

By default, this includes /usr/share/fonts, so any font therein should be accessible to mscgen. You would only need to do this if you wanted to use fonts in non-standard locations - such as those from texlive-collection-fontsextra.

I wonder if this is a problem with font types? 'fc-match helvetica' matches a PCF font, and that might explain the error, if libgd3 is trying to scale a bitmap font. But a TrueType Font such as 'Luxi Sans' works. Should I just patch mscgen so that the default font is a TrueType font?
That might be a good idea.
Be sure to include a dependency to the font package you choose for default,
e.g. font-bh-ttf for Luxi Sans,
or font-bitstream-vera-ttf for Bitstream Vera Sans;
font-cantarell-otf for Cantarell is also a good choice.
(I'd suggest not to choose a default from a texlive font package because they are too big for a dependency.)
------
Thomas