Re: missing 64bit ports (xdelta3 vs xdelta and pristine-tar)

On 2015-07-16 20:35, Achim Gratz wrote:
| jari writes:
| > This is the command that fails (from debugging pristine-tar):
| >
| > xdelta delta -0 --pristine /tmp/pristine-tar.joIgDIVU9F/recreatetarball /tmp/pristine-tar.9DVOtZUF7E/origtarball /tmp/pristine-tar.9DVOtZUF7E/deltaxdel
| >
| > So, the option missing from xdelta3 is:
| >
| >   --pristine
| >
| > From xdelta(1) man page:
| >
| >    -p, --pristine
| >        Disable the automatic decompression of gzipped inputs, to
| >        prevent unexpected differences in the re-compressed content.
|
| Please note that pristine-tar is orphaned/dead upstream since about a
| year and both the issue of it still using the xdelta1 ...

Joey (the original developer and pristine-tar maintainer) moved efforts
to to dgit -- which unfortunately is useful only to Debian.

The pristine-tar + xdelta is a generic concept that can be used to
store binary files in any Git repository without much of data
duplication. E.g to store upstream tarbals easily in one place

There will be need for pristine-tar for long foreseeable future. It's
mature already.

| The option above may no longer be needed with xdelta3, since from
| reading the manpage it seems it no longer automatically decompresses
| its input.  But there are likely other incompatibilities.

Let's hear what the xdelta3 developer says about xdelta1 --pristine
option. I can then patch the code and test it more.

Jari