Re: setup

On Aug  7 15:05, Warren Young wrote:
> On Aug 7, 2015, at 1:47 PM, Corinna Vinschen <corinna-cygwin@cygwin.com> wrote:
> >
> > On Aug  6 17:57, Achim Gratz wrote:
> >>
> >> I would consider this a release candidate.  Some more testing with
> >> interactive and ad-hoc installs would be useful, though.
> >
> > I have a vague idea that setup should ideally be part of the Cygwin
> > distro package set.  So setup updates itself, and it would be possible
> > to handle public "test" releases.
> >
> > The issue of overwriting setup while setup is running could be worked
> > around by setup first copying itself to a intermediate filename (e.g.
> > .setup.exe) and then exce'ing that copy.
>
> Youâd have to couple this either with a MoveFileEx(â,
> MOVEFILE_DELAY_UNTIL_REBOOT) call or a background task that replaces
> /bin/setup.exe with %LOCALAPPDATA%/Temp/setup-v$next.exe.

Why?  The idea is that setup is called, performs a CopyFile of itself
and then exec's its copy.  If the copyfile fails with a sharing
violation or something like that, the copy is in use, which means, setup
is already running.  However, if the copy already exists and can be
overwritten. it's just some older copy.  I don't think there's a
necessity to remove the copy at all.

> This would be a nice point to give setup.exe a CLI language for
> installing packages in yum/apt-get fashion, too.  (Yes, yes, I know,
> SHTDI.)

I like the idea in genral, but I'd also like to write SHTDI in all
uppercase.  Well, it already is, but you get my meaning...

Red Hat