Re: do package updates automatically kill running exes?

On 13/08/2015 07:19, Andrew Schulman wrote:
I've noticed that when I update a package, the exe's in it get killed.  For
example, when emacs gets updated, my running emacsen die.

Is this something that setup explicitly does, for all packages?  Or that some
packages do for themselves in a preremove script?  Or just a byproduct of
replacing a running exe?

Since [1], if a dll or exe can't be updated because it is loaded into a process, setup can terminate the process.

But this isn't something it should be doing *silently*, there being both a dialog to request permission to kill the process, and logging of the process being killed, so I'm not sure how you can be unclear on this?

[1] https://sourceware.org/git/gitweb.cgi?p=cygwin-setup.git;a=commit;h=ec366f61ad90cab92bc685900281e1cfe4cc7cb1