Re: do package updates automatically kill running exes?

On 8/14/2015 2:28 PM, Achim Gratz wrote:
> Jon TURNEY writes:
>> I don't understand why you need to do anything over and above what
>> setup already does.
>
> Read on.
>
>> Setup cannot replace /usr/bin/fish.exe while there is a running
>> process with it loaded, and will request permission to kill those
>> processes before trying to replace it (and if denied, schedule a
>> replacement for the next reboot)
>
> His problem is that the process he wants to have killed has its
> executable deleted, not replaced (/usr/bin/fishd.exe).  I haven't tested
> it, but I would guess that setup would need to kill it anyway because it
> could not be deleted while it was running.

The opened EXE file can be marked for deletion and then renamed allowing
the new file to be copied.  The side effect would be a shutdown at a
later time would delete the renamed file and the new process would start
with the changed file.

--
cyg Simple