Re: upset, genini: different version ordering

Corinna Vinschen writes:
>> On Fedora, some Perl packages add extra dots to the package version so
>> that they sort as expected, e.g.:
>>
>> 0.23 => 0.23
>> 0.2301 => 0.23.01
>> 0.24 => 0.24
>> etc.
>
> So, shouldn't we do the same?

Please not, a dumb idea doesn't get smarter by repeating it's bad parts.

The only way I can keep my sanity with a few hundred of these packages
is if the package name and version number matches CPAN exactly.  That
allows me to script most of the grunt work of checking CPAN for updates
and keeping the cygport files up-to-date.

Again, versioning schemes differ, but as long as upstream sticks to one
scheme no manual interventions should be necessary.  But that requires
to support different schemes (at the moment, two of them) for different
packages.

Regards,
Achim.