Re: Questions on package adoption conventions

On 31/10/2015 00:25, Mark Geisert wrote:
Thanks Marco.

On Fri, 30 Oct 2015, Marco Atzeri wrote:
On 30/10/2015 22:48, Mark Geisert wrote:
Q3: What kind of external access is typically used for hosting final
builds?  I've run a micro-ISP that allowed on-request FTP access, by IP
address, to customers, but have not needed to run anonymous FTP to this
point.  What about SSH/SFTP?  Is there such a thing as anonymous SFTP?
Does HTTP and/or HTTPS access need to be provided?

Upload instructions:
https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/package-upload.html

D'oh, users download source packages from cygwin.com, of course.

I was confused by the SRC_URI= line in cygutils.cygport.  Does that
merely indicate where this package came from at the time the .cygport
file was written, or does it denote a commitment by the maintainer to
continue hosting the package from that URI?  If the latter, that's why I
was asking
about access methods.  Is SRC_URI required?

It is required by Cygport to build the package, but it can
be a dummy one.

 SRC_URI=URL/package

just tell cygport to unpack "package" if already in the
working directory.
It can be used to download the package if not available.

cygutils is a cygwin only package, so in this case the upstream
source is in the package itself, there is no real distinction.

I do not see the strict need to have a a working URL,
but you can choose as you prefer.
If you want it, cygport supports http, ftp and more.

Regards
Marco

..mark