Re: Questions on package adoption conventions

On Nov  4 03:36, Mark Geisert wrote:
> I was able to 'git clone' the cygutils source tree and fix user-reported
> issues and my build issues.  I'm ready to push the updates but have hit a
> snag...
> --------8<--------
> <prompt> git push origin master
>
> Please make sure you have the correct access rights
> and the repository exists.
> -------->8--------
>
> I tried creating a git branch and pushing that instead; same error. Adding
> -v to the 'git push' command shows "Pushing to
> git://sourceware.org/git/cygwin-cygutils.git" which seems correct.

Uh, no, look here: https://sourceware.org/cygwin-apps/

The "git" access mode is read-only.  You have to change your write
mode to using ssh instead, e.g.

  git config --local remote.origin.pushurl cygwin.com:/git/newlib-cygwin.git

That will use the "git" access mode for pulling and "ssh" for pushing.

> I suspect my login credentials are incorrect.  How/where do I specify what
> my sourceware login is?  Or maybe it's some other problem?

You have to set the right private ssh key in ~/.ssh/config, e.g.

  Host cygwin.com sourceware.org
    User mgeisert
    IdentityFile ~/.ssh/id_rsa_cygwin

It should match the public key you sent in your request, but that goes
without saying.

> Separate from that, I will need to update the cygutils.cygport file which
> resides outside of this cygutils source tree.  How do I access that file?

You don't, it's not part of the project yet.  If you want to add your own
cygutils.cygport file to the project, feel free.

> And if that wasn't enough, here's another newbie question:  Am I really
> supposed to push to master or is there a review that should be done first?
> So pushing a revision branch is the right way to allow for a review?

This is your project now.  If you want to push to master, it's yours.
Unless you really screw up big and remove the older commits, which is
rather unlikely to do, you can't make a lot wrong.

As for reviewing, we'd prefer links to the produced tar files, e.g.

  cygutils-42.0-1.tar.xz
  cygutils-42.0-1-src.tar.xz
  cygutils-debuginfo-42.0-1.tar.xz

HTH,