Re: [ANNOUNCEMENT] TEST RELEASE: Cygwin 2.5.0-0.8

On Mar 18 22:24, Ken Brown wrote:
> On 3/18/2016 7:29 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:

> >>The commit message for removing the include did not indicate what
> >>prompted it.  However, the include is necessary for BSD compatibility,
> >>and other software fails to build without it.
> >>
> >>I would look into emacs and see what feature test macro(s) they enable
> >>on *Linux*, and use the same for Cygwin.
> >
> >Might this be it?
> >
> >http://git.savannah.gnu.org/cgit/emacs.git/tree/lib/sys_select.in.h
>
> This file is part of the Gnulib module that I mentioned in the thread I
> cited above.
>
> >There's some seriously hackish things going on in that file, some of
> >them Cygwin specific.
>
> I think such things are often necessary in Gnulib, but I'll leave it to Eric
> to comment further.  In any case, Eric said in our original discussion that
> there might be a Gnulib fix for this problem, but then he and Corinna ended
> up deciding it was better to remove the include.

Glibc uses __USE_MISC to guard the inclusion of sys/select.h, newlib's
header uses __BSD_VISIBLE which is almost the same.  But we have the
equivalent __MISC_VISIBLE as well.  Do you want to change that, Yaakov?

The discussion with Eric was about the POSIX-ness and at the time it
seemed like the simplest solution to remove the include.  But Yaakov
is right.  If it's the right thing to do for Glibc to include it
with careful guarding, it should be the right thing for us as well.

I guess we won't get off without toothing aches :}

Red Hat