Re: [HHITP] mailutils 3.2

On 3/27/2017 3:32 PM, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
On 2017-03-24 14:54, Ken Brown wrote:
This is a half-hearted ITP for GNU mailutils
(https://www.gnu.org/software/mailutils/mailutils.html).  I'd like some
feedback before I proceed.

My only interest in mailutils is that it provides a utility
movemail.exe, which is used by emacs.[*]  But I looked into providing a
complete build of mailutils and various subpackages along the lines of
Debian[**], and it turned out to be straightforward.  My cygport file
and patches are attached.  I ran the testsuite, and there were 42
failures and 3 skips out of 978 tests.  The failures ought to be looked
at, but I don't this is too bad.

FWIW, even on Debian, the tests succeed until comsatd tests 2-7 all
fail, at which point make check terminates.  So if those are your first
failures, it may just be the testsuite.

No, the comsatd tests all pass. The failures I'm seeing are in imap4d, maidag, and sieve. And for some reason that I haven't figured out, the pop3d tests aren't run. The tests use dejagnu, and they report that runtest can't be found. But there are other tests that use dejagnu and do find runtest, so I'm puzzled.

Not a full review, but noticed a few things:

libmailutils5_CONTENTS="
  --exclude=usr/bin/
  usr/bin/cyg*-5.dll
  usr/lib/mailutils/*.dll"

What happens when a future version ships libmailutils6?  As is, the
modules will collide.  Are the modules used by the libraries directly,
or are they for the daemons?

The modules provide extensions to the Sieve mail-filtering language and are used only by the latter. They are apparently loaded on demand by "require" statements in Sieve scripts. Should I put them in a separate subpackage (say, libmailutils-sieve-extensions)?

mailutils_mh_CONTENTS="
  usr/bin/mu-mh
  usr/share/mailutils/mh"

A /usr/bin/mu-mh directory would violate the FHS (4.4.2: "There must be
no subdirectories in /usr/bin.").  Depending on how these are used, one
of /usr/{lib,libexec}/mu-mh would make more sense.

According to the Mailutils manual, "The primary aim of this implementation is to provide an interface between Mailutils and Emacs using mh-e module." I've looked at Emacs's mh-e.el, and it expects to find the programs in /usr/local/bin/mu-mh or /usr/bin/mu-mh. So I think we're stuck with this. FWIW, Debian packages mailutils-mh the same way.

Thanks for looking at this.

Ken