Re: noarching source packages

On 06/05/2017 02:20, Brian Inglis wrote:
On 2017-05-01 13:57, Achim Gratz wrote:
Jon Turney writes:
What is your reason for changing the name?
There shouldn't be two different naming conventions for the same
purpose. So
package-version-release[-purpose].tar.xz
with purpose:=[source|debuginfo] would be preferrable.
I was wondering if we need to explicitly identify debuginfo
archives as a different kind of thing. Currently, debuginfo
packages work just like any other install archive, which is fine,
except for perhaps they need a separate filter in setup.
They wouldn't with the above naming convention and you'd just tick
another box to say you want them installed, just like sources. We
might even skip the archful directories and just do
[noarch|x86|x86_64] as well in the same place.

Tick the box is already one of the least understood feature of setup,
I suggest to not add further stuff there.

debuginfo and src have a major difference in installation:

debuginfo are tracked as normal packages, reported on "/etc/setup/"
and they can be unistalled as any other package.

src package are not tracked at all and can not be unistalled
with setup. If we decide to manage them like the other
packages we should remove such anomaly.

In the same vein, boxes for doc and devel packages, where available,
would make selection easier for users, developers, and maintainers,
but require changes to cygport and setup to integrate handling.

this is in IMHO a useless complication, the search filter is already available for selecting similar packages.

We have multiple documentation or multiple development packages
for a single source package so clustering is not obvious at all

Regards
Marco