Re: setup and colons in filenames

On 25/10/2017 22:00, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Oct 25 21:36, Jon Turney wrote:
On 25/10/2017 21:16, Corinna Vinschen wrote:
On Oct 25 20:23, Jon Turney wrote:
On 25/10/2017 16:50, Ken Brown wrote:
This is a followup to the thread started here:

The other concern I had was if the filenames for the package archives stored
in the download cache end up containing a ':', which I thought wasn't
allowed in windows filenames?

Colons in Cygwin filenames will have 0xf03a value in WIN32.  The code to
transpose special chars into the private use area at 0xf0XY is in setup,
but I'm not sure if setup is really working correctly with archives
containing a colon.
I think the package archives are stored using native Windows filenames, not
cygwin filenames (i.e. file:// paths rather than cygfile:// paths), because
the "Local Package Directory" is not necessarily under the cygwin root, so
I'm not sure that transformation applies.

The transposition is handled in mklongpath, which is called in nt_fopen,
or called manually in other callers of nt_wfopen to construct the long
path.  In theory, this should cover all bases...

Yes, you are quite correct, and this transformation is happening, so there is no problem here.

(I think what I did to confuse myself was look at the "Local Package Directory" in Cygwin shell without even thinking about it, and saw the filenames being shown with a ':', while thinking they were Windows filenames...)