Re: Retiring setup.hint

On 13/11/2017 19:59, Thomas Wolff wrote:
Am 25.10.2017 um 21:42 schrieb Jon Turney:
I propose that calm will stop accepting uploads containing setup.hint some time shortly after 2017-11-18.

So, firstly this plan has been superseded...

This is approximately one year after the cygport release [1] which, stopped generating these files, so if you're using cygport >= 0.23.0, no action is needed.

Warnings that you need to upgrade cygport have been generated for more than 6 months [2].

After setup.hint uploads are disabled, any remaining setup.hint in the cygwin release on sourceware.org will be migrated to pvr.hint(s), as per [3].

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-announce/2016-11/msg00078.html
[2] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2017-04/msg00024.html
[3] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-09/msg00025.html
I would appreciate to see some explanation about this. Why the change and what are package maintainers expected to do?

... so, you don't have to do anything.

I hope that the:"WARNING: '/sourceware/cygwin-staging/home/Thomas Wolff/x86_64/release/mintty/setup.hint' seen, please update to cygport >= 0.23.0" in the mails you received from calm appropriately indicates the expectation that I'd like you to update the version of cygport you are using, when convenient for you.

If calm can simply "rename setup.hint to pvr.hint", what's the purpose of all this?

I like to think what I wrote was a bit more nuanced than that.

"If the appropriate pvr cannot be determined [...], the upload will fail"

In the (common) case where a setup.hint and package archives for a single version are uploaded, renaming is possible.

But there are less common, but permitted scenarios where this is not possible, e.g.:

- If you decide to upload e.g. 2.9.0-1 and test version 3.0.0-1 at the same time. Not recording the dependencies for these versions separately fundamentally does not work (see [1])

- Uploading just a replacement setup.hint for an existing version is no longer permitted under these rules (but you can still upload a replacement pvr.hint for a specific version)

It would have been nice if it had occurred to me that I could do this renaming trick a bit earlier, though...

[1] https://cygwin.com/ml/cygwin-apps/2016-06/msg00069.html