Re: [RFC] Minimal Debuginfo by default

On 2017-11-15 03:09, David Stacey wrote:
> On 15/11/17 07:38, Yaakov Selkowitz wrote:
>> The following concept would allow for sensible backtraces without
>> installing a -debuginfo, at the expense of a moderate size increase of
>> binaries (particularly with C++ code):
>>
>> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Changes/MingwMiniDebugInfo
>
> Did you mean https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/MiniDebugInfo
> Presumably you intend this for Cygwin binaries.

Yes, but as we're not an ELF platform, I doubt we support the method
used to implement MiniDebugInfo, so the implementation would be closer
to MingwMiniDebugInfo.

>> The patch for cygport would be minimal.  Is it worth the size increase?
>
> The benefit to Fedora is obvious, in that it would increase the quality
> of the automated bug reports. Do we have an equivalent in Cygwin (or is
> one planned)? Right now, we don't have so many backtraces sent in to the
> main list, but who knows - if they were easier to generate then we might.
>
> How would this work for Cygwin? Would we require all the lib.* packages
> to be rebuilt?

Not immediately, but I do think we are getting to the point where we
really need a mass rebuild anyway.  Therefore, I'm trying to queue up
now any changes of such scope.

--
Yaakov