Re: cygport development

On Mon., Oct. 14, 2019, 02:55 Federico Kircheis, <> wrote:

> On 13/10/2019 18.41, Achim Gratz wrote:
> > Federico Kircheis writes:
> >> I've sent the patches the 14.07.19, unfortunately I still got no answer.
> >
> > The cygport maintainer is rather busy with non-Cygwin related work these
> > days, I suppose.  Anyway, one of the questions I have is why you need
> > these changes.  Most build systems do not actually work when they
> > encounter a path with spaces if they use make under the hood, so fixing
> > cygport to grok such path locations isn't getting you much further I'd
> > think.  Can you explain?
>
> Yep.
>
> I've built some software in my windows home directory.
> It contains a space.
> I expected it to work.
>
> Instead of failing with a clear error message, the build process deleted
> some unrelated files as it cd failed (or cd in the wrong directory, cant
> remember right now).
>
> I believe it is unacceptable to delete unrelated data.
>
> Even if it stated that there is no intention to support path with
> spaces, those scripts should fail fast and ideally with a clear error
> message.
>
> I found it easier to quote the offending variables, as not only spaces
> might cause issues.

When I encountered a similar problem, I added code to quote env variables
that had spaces until cygport worked correctly. Then I submitted patches to
this list and the maintainer so the current code works for my problem case
OOB.

This is the best and fastest way to get your problem fixed, and, as a
bonus,  get credit as a contributor to open source software.

Doug