Developers mailing list policy change

I've made a decision on the change of policy with respect to the
cygwin-developers mailing list.

For now, I'm just going to let all subscribe requests go through.  If
cygwin-developers starts bogging down in off-topic or ill-conceived
email then we can deal with that issue at that point.  I don't see
that happening for a long time, if ever.

A few people have suggested setting up a cygwin-developers-lurkers list.
I must confess that I am perplexed by the benefits of such a list.

If a person signs up for a lurker list then they are doing so because
they do not have any intent of contributing to the mailing list.  If
that is the case then I don't understand why you'd even need a lurkers
list.  If a person isn't going to contribute then the net effect is the
same.

I guess you could suppose that a person would subscribe to the list and,
since there is no lurker mode available, would feel compelled to
contribute.  I think I'm going to live with that scenario.

So, for the foreseeable future, the cygwin mailing list will still be
on an approval basis but I will approve everyone.  I will also change
the welcome message to make the charter of the group as clear as
possible.

Btw, if you respond to this thread please include cygwin-developers.  I
got a few private replies to my original request for feedback from
people who essentially were all proposing the same thing.  Nobody
realized this because the replies did not go to the list.

cgf