Re: Massive checkin but still no memory corruption fix

On Tue, Jun 22, 1999 at 10:18:50PM +0400, Egor Duda wrote:
>Jun 22 1999 Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
>
> CF> I've also added the pseudo-JIT debugging from Egor Dada, although I
> CF> wouldn't recommend using quite yet.  It has a tendency to invoke
> CF> itself a little aggressively.  It obviously needs to be a little more
> CF> integrated with gdb.
>
>Does it mean that my assignment had finally come? I've just thought if
>i should send another copy.

I haven't heard that it had come but I really needed to use your changes,
so I added it.  Would it be possible for you to fax me a copy of the form?
My fax number is 508 632 6528 (with whatever extra codes you'd need to call
the US).

Or, if it is convenient, you can send me a scanned copy of the assignment.

>And what do you mean "aggressively"? I am to spend some time at
>weekend to do some additions and cleanups (like storing program name
>and signal in core file and more extensive parameters checking in
>dumper -- it traps itself one time while i'm using it). So it would be
>nice to hear your opinion on what else should be done.

If you are debugging a program which receives a SIGSEGV, it forks a separate
debugger where it shouldn't.  I had one case where a bug in the DLL caused
*a lot* of these to show up on my screen.  I had a really hard time trying
to get rid of them.  I was thinking that one way to get around this behavior
would be to have gdb set CYGWIN=noerror_start.  That may be all that's
required.

I also made a few changes to your implementation.  I converted the filename
to UNIX format in the initialization phase since I was seeing problems where
a DLL bug caused pathname conversion at a certain point.  Actually it might
be safest not to call any cygwin function to convert the path name but just
to change all of the backslashes to forward slashes.  That should work.

I also added some code to call try_to_debug on a SIGABRT or SIGQUIT.

Anyway, please take a look at the minor changes that I made to your
implementation.  They should be in last night's snapshot.

-chris