Re: mkpasswd, mkgroup and NT Multiple Domain strangeness

Earnie Boyd wrote:
> --- Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de> wrote:
> > The correct behaviour should be, to generate the `None' group only in case of
> > `mkgroup -l'. The patch is attached.
>
> After sending this mail I noticed that there isn't even a local group named
> None in the list of groups under the User Manager.  At any rate the gid of the
> local group None shouldn't be the same as the gid for the global domain group
> Domain Users.

That's an interesting idea but to solve it in this manner, you have
to convince Mr. Gates that the current solution is not the optimum.
I would gladly appreciate if you have success.

In the meantime I recommend to read the document ntsec.sgml in the doc
directory of the winsup sources.

> Also, if mkgroup -l should return the local group "None" then mkpasswd -g
> should also and it doesn't.  BTW, I didn't look at Corinna's patch just
> commenting on her statement.

The groups that are lined in the passwd file are needed to print out
the ownership of files correctly with names. The groups `None' and
`Domain Users' are typically not owner of files. If you want to do
this with cygwin, you are on your own and you have to insert this
groups into your passwd file by yourself. Do you think, each local
and domain NT group should be repeated in the passwd file? This
would be possible but IMHO, this doesn't make much sense with the
exception of `Everyone (0)', `System (18)' and `Administrators (544)'.
This three groups are very often owner of files in NT systems.

Regards,