Re: cygwin PATH reorg?

--- Chris Faylor <cgf@cygnus.com> wrote:
> Given the number of problems that seem to crop up with people on the
> cygwin mailing list, I was wondering if it made sense to have cygwin
> probe the path list looking for the directory which is essentially
> "/bin" and put this directory first in the PATH.

I certainly like the idea; but, this might cause more confusion than it's
worth.

> Finding this directory might be tricky, of course.  Especially if
> someone has more than one cygwin installation on their hard disk.
> However, we could even issue a warning if no cygwin 'bin' directory
> was found.
>
> This could be defeatable by something like CYGWIN=nopathreorg .

This would be a necessity for someone like myself that creates a /bin directory
and moves only the essential binaries there, i.e.: cygwin1.dll, bash.exe,
sh.exe, mount.exe, umount.exe, cygcheck.exe, and cygpath.exe (may have forgot
something but not much).  I put the rest of the cygwin bin directory in
/usr/bin.

> Thoughts?

Rather than mucking with the PATH, how about creating a /bin symlink if /bin
doesn't exist and base the physical path on the starting instance of
cygwin1.dll?  Hmm..., what happens when you `umount / && mount
'c:\somewhereelse' /`?

This could get rather messy.

> cgf

=====