Re: setup.exe questions

--- Corinna Vinschen <corinna@vinschen.de> wrote:
> Chris Faylor wrote:
> > mode"?  I don't know about a default HOME.  Maybe that's another question?
>
> IMHO it would be a good idea to support copying some example scripts
> to the HOME dir as it's done similar when creating a new user
> in some Linux distributions. That would be very convenient for
> the normal user. I'm thinking of sth. like .profile, .cshrc, .vimrc
> etc.

Good idea, except call them sample.profile, sample.cshrc, etc.  Vim has it's
own sample already.

> This would imply asking for a HOME dir (or setting one by default).

I would suggest asking with a default string of /cygwin/home for Win9x and
$USERPROFILE/cygwin for WinNT.

> > The root should default to binary.  The user can mount anything else that
> > he wants.  I agree that \cygwin should be on the drive containing the OS.
>
> I agree. I would like to see that binary is the default mount
> method for the mount command and creating text mounts only by
> giving a `-t' option.

Hmm...  I haven't seen problems mentioned from the CD version on this.  I
wonder how many problems this will cause?  Probably, less than defaulting to
text mode.  Just rambling... Sorry.  I really have mixed views on this, how
about binary for the official release and text mode for the snapshots?  As DJ
mentioned if it remains binary mode, text mode might not get tested robustly.

=====
---
   Earnie Boyd: <mailto:earnie_boyd@yahoo.com>
            __Cygwin: POSIX on Windows__