Re[2]: Cygwin performance (was [ANN] PW32 the...)

Hi!

Mar 15 2000, Chris Faylor cgf@cygnus.com wrote:

>>No matter of the possible speed up, I don't like this solution
>>because of...
>>
>>> note: you have to recompile your application to utilize "stat_lite"
>>> function.
>>
>>... that result.

CF> I think that Egor also provided a CYGWIN environment variable setting
CF> method, too.

no.

>>Ah, one hint: This wouldn't change anything when ntsec is OFF. But
>>in that case neither get_file_owner() nor get_file_group() nor
>>get_file_attribute() could slowing down things...

CF> I think that the big slowdown happens in counting the files in
CF> a directory to update the "nlinks" field in stat (or whatever
CF> it's called).

ah, yes. nlinks too.

CF> I went over the file handling code a year or so ago and attempted
CF> to eliminate multiple hits to the disk as much as possible.  I'm
CF> sure that more can be done here, though.

CF> Maybe we should just detect when a file or directory is remote
CF> and not do some of the more expensive operations.

CF> I would like the ability to be able to set attributes on an executable
CF> something like:

CF>         chattr --stat-lite ls.exe

well, perhaps that's a way. but anyway, i think that application author or
porter should be able to "set" this flag on per-call-basis. if in some
function he don't need inode, nlinks, but only st_size and st_atime he
can give "stat" a hint.