Re: net release/installer status?

On Mon, 27 Mar 2000 16:22:56 -0500, you wrote:

>I'd like to make a net release very soon.  Has anyone tried Robert's installer?
>Are there other outstanding issues?

Do you think you can find the time to think about a rpm-based
installation? (Or better : to try it out ;-) )

Right now there are a couple of files which exist in more than one
tar.gz file of the current 485-distribution.
(binutils-19990818-1.tar.gz, tcltk.tar.gz, gdb-20000127.tar.gz and
cygwin-20000301.tar.gz are candidates to this behaviour)

While building the rpm-distribution it seems that I ran into trouble
because when coosing which of the conflicting .a files to actually
keep for the duistribution I seemed to have chosen the wrong files
(Which would also happen if a user decides to re-install one of the
tar.gz files mentioned above, the versions included in the newly
installed file will overwrite the previous ones, perhaps resulting in
an instable system)

The results of choosing the wrong files were ugly: gdb was unable to
run a file to debug, mc and bash died om startup when compiled from
source. If have not confirmed 100% that choosing the wrong .a files is
the basis of the misbehaviour but all experiments till now seam to
confirm my idea.

rpm cannot solve this problem; but it can make you aware that there is
a problem because it finds out that files included in one package are
also provided by another package. Then oneself can fix the problem in
no-time.

Even if you choose not to use rpm, you should definitely consider to
eliminate duplicate files in your .tar.gz files. I will be glad to
help in the process.

Greetings,

Michael Ring