Re: Mo Dejong's install problems

On Tue, Mar 28, 2000 at 03:41:21PM -0800, Mo DeJong wrote:
>Ron, do you want some help writing this installer? I think I could take
>the code you already wrote and whip up a graphical installer that does
>the same thing. Interested?

This might be an interesting project for the future but, for now, I want
to release what we have.

There has been a lot of discussion on what the installer should or shouldn't
do.  We zeroed in on a minimum subset of functionality and, for the most part,
Ron's installer matches that.

If we stop to reevaluate every time somebody else joins in we're never going
to get anywhere.

I don't really care if most users are used to a graphical application.  I'm
just going for minimal functionality right now.

We'll be checking the installer into CVS soon.  I expect that it will really
start taking off after that point.

I'm really very interested in a full-screen, whiz-bang, rpm, dpkg, AI
installer but I'd like to see it after we've released Cygwin 1.1.0.