setup.exe in the "latest" directory (more installer testing)

I am installing from the local hard drive. I downloaded all the
packages from the "latest" directory and tried to run the setup.exe
program.

setup.exe was sitting in the latest/ subdirectory, and when I
ran it I got a bunch of "Unable to extract" errors from tar. I
thought these errors had been fixed by a recent patch that
stopped cygwin from trying to concat a '/' onto the path
if the path was '/'. Perhaps these changes did not make
it onto a release branch in the CVS or something?

Press <enter> to accept the default value.
Root directory? [C:\Cygwin] Install from the current directory (d) or from
the Internet (i)? [i]
Installing ash.tar.gz
Unable to extract "ash.tar.gz": No error
Installing bash.tar.gz
Unable to extract "bash.tar.gz": No error
Installing binutils-19990818-1.tar.gz
Unable to extract "binutils-19990818-1.tar.gz": No error
Installing bison.tar.gz
Unable to extract "bison.tar.gz": No error

These errors were not captured to setup.log by the way.
I thought that had been implemented.

I was able to work around the problem by moving setup.exe
up a directory level before running it. There is almost
nobody that is going to know to do that, so we need to
make sure that the installer is fixed before the
"net release" is finshed.

After it finished installing, I tried out the uninstall
script. It worked better than the last version but it
still printed out lots of errors and it did not prompt
me to confirm the uninstall before it actually did
anything. Here is what it printed.

Invalid path, not directory,
or directory not empty
File not found - C:\Cygwin\usr\man\mann\NoteBook.n
File not found
Invalid path, not directory,
or directory not empty
Invalid path, not directory,
or directory not empty
File not found
Invalid path, not directory,
or directory not empty
Invalid path, not directory,
or directory not empty
Invalid path, not directory,
or directory not empty
Invalid path, not directory,
or directory not empty
File not found
File not found
Invalid path, not directory,
or directory not empty
Batch file missing

C:\Cygwin>File not found

I then needed to go click the little X in the box because
the program did not terminate when it finished. (is this
a DOS thing?) I double checked that this installer had
removed the files, it had. It did not remove a bunch
or directories though.

I also tried installing twice (to overwrite an existing
install) but that failed with the same old "Permission
Denied" errors while trying to install gdb. I thought
those errors had been fixed too, am I missing something?

I got a random core dump inside cygwin1.dll while doing
a test install. I have no idea what caused it and
I am sure this output will not help track down the
problem, but here it is. It seems impossible to debug
a core dump in the installer because you need the dev
tools installed to be able to run gdb.

TAR caused an invalid page fault in
module CYGWIN1.DLL at 0137:610204e0.

So now I thought, ok I will test out
the compiler. I wanted to try to
compile a program that I know
will compile with cygwin, but
I did not have autoconf and
the src code for the program
only came with a configure.in
script. So I tried to install
autoconf on my cygwin dist. I
grabbed to 2.13 dist of autoconf
and ran ./configure ; make install
to install autoconf. After autoconf
was installed I ran it (this checks
that /usr/local/bin appears on the
PATH as set in cygwin.bat).

BASH.EXE-2.03$ autoconf
: error 22
: error 22
: error 22
: error 22
: error 22
: error 22
/USR/LOCAL/BIN/autoconf: 41: Syntax error: expecting "in"

I don't know what the deal is here, but autoconf 2.13 will
not run when installed on cygwin. If version 2.13 was
never tested on cygwin and some newer "yet to be released"
version of autoconf is required, we really need to rethink
not including an autoconf that works in the net release.
A uncompressed autoconf install is only about 800K, and I am
sure a compressed .tar.gz install file would not add
much to the download time.

Mo Dejong
Red Hat Inc.