symblinks problem

On the 4/23/2000 snapshot, there seems to be inconsistency in following
symblinks.

I did a CVS checkout earlier today and was trying to fix the configure
script to look for install-sh in another directory so that I would be one
step closer to having everything configure and make in one shot.

In /home/src/i586-pc-cygwin/winsup, there is a symblink from configure.in
to ../.././winsup/configure.in . When I 'vi configure.in' while the
working directory is /home/sec/i586-pc-cygwin/winsup , it doesn't follow
the symblink to the original file, it instead shows me the contents of the
symblink: !<symlink>../.././winsup/configure.in

It appears to be easily reproducible on Win98, after installing the 1.1
release and then copying the 4/23/2k snapshot DLL. I don't have a
networked NT machine (the dongle on my laptop broke) to test on,
unfortunately.

An strace log is attached ('bash -c "vi configure.in"', where the cwd is
the one mentioned above).

--
this band is perfect
just don't scratch the surface