Re: /cygdrive/windows ?

On Wed, May 03, 2000 at 01:43:30PM -0400, DJ Delorie wrote:
>>I get it now, sorry.  Hmm...  How about an internal mapping of /boot
>>for the SystemDrive, /boot/windir for the windows path?  Since the
>>System and System32 directories always fall as subdirectories of
>>/boot/windir this wouldn't have to be mapped.  So, for example, if you
>>have your WINNT system on the C: drive then /boot would be mapped to
>>C:/ and /boot/windir would map to C:/WINNT.
>
>If Windows is installed to a shared network drive, windir is local and
>sysdir is shared.  I think.  Otherwise, I can't think of why Win32 has
>separate calls for those two directories.

I've always thought that it was because the "system directory" on Windows NT
is "system32" and on Windows 95 it's "system".

As far as /boot is concerned, I like the name, but I hate polluting the
namespace.  We've already abrogated /cygdrive, so I was thinking that
we should stick with that even though it doesn't make sense to refer
to the windows directory as a "drive".

Also, btw, the specific application that I was thinking about for this
is cygwin-xfree.  Suhaib tells me that he needs to install some DLLs
in the system area.  This raises the hairs on the back of my neck,
but I assume that he has a good reason.