Re: old snapshots

[cygwin-developers added because this seemed like a generic question]

> Just because I'm on a slow connection right now, I'll ask, how is
> CVS tagged to identify a "snapshot" for Cygwin?

It isn't.  Snapshots are done by timestamp.  The 20000524 snapshot,
for example, was as of 23:55 EST on the 24th.  You can use something
like "cvs checkout -D '2000-05-24 23:55' winsup" (although the time
zones might be off; I'm EST and sourceware is PST) to get that day's
snapshot.  I usually omit the time when searching for when a bug was
introduced.

The neat part about CVS is that you can switch days pretty easily.
The cvs command above can be used on an existing area, to make the
minimum number of changes to go from date A to date B.  It's much
faster than downloading snapshots, provided you're in the mood to keep
a build area around.

You can even do a binary search of a month to find the bug.  It only
takes 5 updates to narrow it down to a day's changes.