Re: prelim FAQ update: Installation Instructions

On Thu, Jun 01, 2000 at 02:47:14AM +0100, David Starks-Browning wrote:
>Hi,
>
>I've made a preliminary update to winsup/doc/install.texinfo, but I
>haven't checked it in yet.  It's the "Installation Instructions"
>chapter of the FAQ.  You can preview what I've got so far at
>
>	  <http://www.ebi.ac.uk/~starksb/cygwin/faq_3.html>
>
>If there are no immediate objections, I'll check it in and ask DJ to
>update the sourceware web page.

I have some very minor nits.

The part about rewriting all mount points isn't quite right.  Only
some of the mount points are redone.  Root should be preserved unless
the user specifies otherwise.  /usr/bin is mounted on the same directory
as /bin and /usr/lib is mounted on the same directory as /lib.

All mounts are binary by default.

The default root directory is c:\cygwin unless cygwin was already installed
on your machine.  In that case, the previous root is used.

Could you add a strong recommendation to use a directory like c:\cygwin as
the root rather than specifying something like c:\ ?  It is much easier
to maintain a monolithic tree of stuff when it is all under one directory.

setup can be used to install a single package via something like:

setup bash

setup -u bash

will install a newer version of bash if one exists.  Probably only the first
usage has to be documented.

You refer to "the empty directory" under "Internet installation with setup.exe".
Shouldn't that be "an empty directory"?

Otherwise this is really great.  It will be a *tremendous* relief to be able
to point people to something as well-written and clear as this document.

Thanks,