Re: Outstanding issues with current DLL?

----- Original Message -----
From: "Christopher Faylor" <cgf@redhat.com>
To: <cygwin-developers@cygwin.com>
Sent: Thursday, 8 March 2001 12:07
Subject: Re: Outstanding issues with current DLL?

> >> Any gotchas that anyone is aware of?
> >
> >The current snapshot is considerably buggy!  I can't explain
> >these bugs immediately because of my poor ability in English.
> >
> >Those around me always complain the release version of Cygwin
> >DLL is updated too often, buggy and unstable. Please consider
> >more careful release management.
>
> I hope that someone else may be able to step forward and point to some
> of these unreported bugs that all of his friends have seen.  Obviously
> we can't fix what we don't know about.
>
> I am now quite frustrated to know that my product is riddled with bugs
> and people are complaining about it without trying to do anything
> towards actively fixing them.
>
> It's times like these that I fantasize about just doing a "rm -r
> ~ftp/pub/cygwin" on sources.redhat.com, turning off the cygwin mailing
> lists and just sticking with my real job.

Hmm ....... I hope you are feeling better......

Anyway,  did you do a make check on winsup...
I did and it is failing in two areas

 X_OK is defined as a constant unsigned in file.h  cygwin_S_IEXEC.cc
and /src/cygwin/src/winsup/testsuite/winsup.api/ltp/access01.c:147:
gives the error: initializer element is not constant

file -- access01.c
..
static struct test_case_t {
    char *file;
    int mode;
    char *string;
    int experrno;
} Test_cases[] = {
    { Fname, F_OK,  "F_OK", 0 },
    { Fname, X_OK,  "X_OK", 0 },  <------ access01.c:147
    { Fname, W_OK,  "W_OK", 0 },
    { Fname, R_OK,  "R_OK", 0 },
};

I think X_OK has to be an int in your "interesting" changes

and the second area it is failing is
running /src/cygwin/obj/i686-pc-cygwin/winsup/testsuite/../cygwin/cygrun
./sigchld.exe > ./sigchld.log
it just locks up and cannot be stopped

Other than the test failures I was having a lot of trouble just building the
dll due to random failures. I does not seem to like building
itself and builds better if I use the current release version

I have also found that you cannot have two independant builds going at
once (eg cygwin1.dll and binutils), I do not any proof, but they seem to be
interacting with each other. For example they both will fail the working gcc
test in ./configure.  After this failure I have to reboot to be able to use
Cygwin to build anything again.  I then can then run the configure scripts,
one at
a time and all will compile fine...

FWIW yes I do build cygwin1.dll a couple of times a week and I am
understanding the source more and more but I still have a lot to
learn........  I am still not confident in my build script/setup is working
correctly as no one else seems to see the same errors......

> Why do I bother?
>
> cgf

Because your efforts "are" appreciated and admired........

Regard Trevor